Intro

Hi, there... I'm Simon

I've been in love with technology since I was knee-high to a grasshopper. Here I'll be posting about my experience with hardware and software... tips and tecnhiques included.

A little bit of history.

I've lived in Brazil since 1979, due to my father (an engineer) being transferred here by a multinational corp, tasked with designing a coffee harvesting machine. He's always loved technology,  and in 1980 he purchased a HP33 (not sure if it was an E or a C) during a trip to the US, along with some application books for it. He spent a week of evenings reading through every manual and trying every single command on the calculator. Around this time he got me a 200 in 1 electronic kit from Radio Shack.

I started playing with computers in 1981 with a TRS80 Pocket computer that an american co-worker of my father owned. He also had a lot of computer magazines (Byte, Kilobaud Microcomputing). I'd stare in awe at computers in a store, and pestered my father to get a ZX81 compatible manufactured here in Brazil, the Microdigital TK-82C. By the time I managed to get him thinking about actually buying one, the newer TK85 had come out, se he got that instead (I still have if, albeit somewhat "patched up"). It looked like a ZX-Spectrum, but was a 16K ZX81 compatible inside. Hi co-worker also got one around the same time. Here in Brazil, software piracy was common, and we'd swap game program tapes.

I'd get up around 6 in the morning, play with the computer until around 7, go to school, and when I got back home at lunch time, eat in a frenzy, and sit in front of the computer until 10 at night, when my parents made me go to bed.

I learned BASIC and Z80 assembly language, and finished an 18-month course on digital electronics and microprocessors. My dad got me a TRS Color Computer compatible (Prológica CP400), so I had to learn 6809E assembly. My brother got a ZX Spectrum clone (TK90X), so I´d play Elite, Gunship, F15 Strike Eagle, Chequered Flag and Highway Encounter when he let me. My dad's friend got an Apple II clone.

Around this time I started working as an apprentice at a consulting company, with the recently introduced, Microtec PC2001, an IBM-PC clone, using and programming dBase II, Wordstar and Lotus 123. In the 35+ years since then I've programmed in a huge variety of languages, operating systems, and technologies. Most recently, I'm working with AI in Python, and Rasa chatbot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Better report for Rasa chatbot model analysis

Multiple Rasa containers with docker-compose (part 2)

Multiple Rasa containers with docker-compose (part 1)